Tuesday, July 22, 2008

News: Topamax May Cause Birth Defects



Good to know I just stopped taking it! Not that it would affect me now, since I'm not planning to have a child anytime soon, but still!

Teri Robert wrote an article about this today over on My Migraine Connection. Please check it out: Topamax May Cause Birth Defects. Also, Marijke over at Help My Hurt did an article about it too: Epilepsy and Migraine Drug Topamax Investigated for Birth Defects.

Now, yes, I know with any drug, there are risks of side affects. The point is that the good should outweigh the bad. But this one really took me off guard. I mean, I know you are not supposed to take this drug while pregnant, but what about those people who are taking it for Epilepsy. Having seizures during pregnancy can harm the baby, not taking your Topamax for Epilepsy may cause seizures.

It's just sad when a medication that may be working great for you has to be changed for this reason.

So, if you are out there and on Topamax and trying to conceive - please, PLEASE talk with your doctor about other options. It's always better to be safe then sorry.

No comments: