Friday, November 23, 2007

Oh what an exciting Thanksgiving - how are we going to top this one next year?

So I didn't end up making it to my full "6 days no migraine" like I really thought I would. I don't know who I was kidding - I was prodrome for like 2 days....I guess I just didn't want to believe it. Oh well. It wasn't bad, I got that baby the second it started so it wouldn't ruin my turkey! - gone in about 20 mins but the postdrome stayed with me all day like a narcotic hangover or a night you were out too late partying (man, have not done that in YEARS!)

So I knock out my little migraine monster and head off with my husband to my aunts house. We had a very lovely time there. Everything was wonderful. We were sitting around the table having dessert after dinner, ya know "girl talk" when all the men go lay on the couch for "turkey naps". And we're talking - and all of a sudden we notice my one aunt is unresponsive. We start calling her name, nothing. She looked as if she was looking under the table a bit, looking at the cat. Then we thought she dozed off for a second. We kept calling her name, nothing.
We started to gently shake her. - by this time - the cell phone is in my hand and I'm dialing 911. My aunt has had a history of seizures and other problems....she's 80 for crying out loud! So I call 911 - I tell the dispatch that she is 80 and unresponsive but breathing. They are sending someone.

My cousin is holding her up to not fall out of her chair - she is still not responding. Then she starts to breathe a little heavy - rub her forehead and look like she is going to cry. I can only describe this by saying if you've ever watched someone having a nightmare? Or a baby sleeping (like a 3 month old) That is how she looked, like she had the mannerisms of a baby.
She rubbed her head, we kept calling her name. She started to look around and say something, but we couldn't figure out what she was saying. My other aunt kept saying "who am I" to see if she knew who anyone was....she didn't know. Then she opened her mouth really wide and took this big gasp and was kinda "back". She was still a little out of it. But once she realised I called 911 she was ticked!!!!! I almost started yelling at her like "you have to be checked out you were not responding and something happened!"

So the paramedics, rescue, police, you know, the whole darn town show up. They checked her out and said everything seemed ok. She knew we would all be mad is she did not go to the ER so she went. They did more tests, still nothing but they kept her over night to be sure.
See the problem is my aunt has had 3 seizures that we know of. We don't think she is being completely honest to the family about her condition. And seeing as she is as stubborn as a mule, she won't let anyone go to the doctor with her.

I know she is on a lot of blood pressure medication, but what I don't know. I also know she is taking Keppra twice a day.....but I couldn't read what all was on her info and was distracted by what was going on.

We really want to get her somewhere that she has help but she is just stubborn. I'm sure they won't find anything wrong and she will be like "see I told ya" but there is something going on. Maybe it's just age? They told her before it's not TIA - she's never had a heart attack - I mean for 80 the lady is still very healthy!

So I'm sure I'll get more details of what happened today from my mother, but it was scary. I don't think she can be alone anymore, not if this is happening. I mean she didn't remember being out of it (I mean who does?) And she lives alone - what if this happens and no one is around? She needs to have some sort of an assisted living program, not saying they need to cook for her, but someone to check on her.

No comments: