Thursday, November 22, 2007

Here we go!

So I decided to start a blog....

Here's a little about me. I am a migraine sufferer. For those of you who don't know, Migraine is a neurological disease that strikes 36 million Americans. I have had the honor of hosting at a wonderful site - My Migraine Connection which is run by the lovely Miss Teri Robert!



After reading her book, Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches I can honestly say it changed my life. I went from being just a sufferer to being an advocate. I am now so much more involved with my health care then I ever was before. Her book gave me my life back.
And, the forum setting she has created on that site is so comfortable - it's like talking with family - only they actually "get it"!

Since this is my first "blog" and I'm just learning my way around this thing - I'll just start with this.

If you are suffering from migraine - know there is help out there. You do not have to suffer alone. Migraine is a silent disease. It can also be very depressing. I know for me, there are many times when I feel alone and sad, depressed and like no one understands. Trust me - people do.



There are so many medications out there now to help control migraine - it's amazing. There are over 100 different preventives, in almost every drug family, Anticonvulsants, Beta Blockers, Anti-depressants, SSRI's, Muscle Relaxers, ACE inhibitors, Calcium Channel Blockers, just to name a few!



My current regimen consists of 75mgs of Topamax (anti seizure) which I take in a split dose, 25mgs in the morning and 50mgs in the evening. I also take a multi vitamin, 250mgs of Magnesium, Frova 2.5mgs to abort, Skelaxin 800mgs as needed, and Meletonin every night at bed.



That's just a bit about me - I figure that's good for a first post right? But because of my obsessive nature, I'm sure I'll be back on here later to post again!

No comments: